A COMPREHENSIVE makeover for a popular bar in Edinburgh marked the start of a new commercial relationship for Pacific Building with Stonegate Pub Company.
The firm runs 690 outlets across the UK, some of which have become household names and many of which play a key role in their local communities.
Pacific refurbished The Chanter in Bread Street, Edinburgh, handing over to the clients at the end of June, 2017.
Situated in the Old Town of Edinburgh in the shadow of the world-famous castle, The Chanter boasts a loyal local clientele as well as a healthy passing trade from tourists and other visitors to the area.
Two challenges had to be met:
- The clients had to be impressed with the end result in order to ensure that future business opportunities with Stonegate were enhanced for Pacific.
- Any shutdown to facilitate this extensive makeover had to be kept to a minimum.
Visual appeal was paramount on this project, which involved the strip-out and replacement of alcoholic and soft drinks systems, extensive tiling, floor refinishing, joinery and electrical works, toilet refurbishments, the installation of feature graffiti boards and shelving, seating, kitchen improvements, signage, bric-a-brac and bar tops.
Stonegate promise to deliver “a fantastic customer experience” to patrons who visit their bars, which operate within a wide variety of formats.
- Classic Inns – modern country pubs, boasting open fires, and serving intimate meals for two, or three-course celebratory meals for family and friends.
- Proper Pubs – traditional bars at the centre of the community, guaranteeing a warm welcome to customers looking for a quiet daytime pint while watching the racing, a great-value lunch, family mid-week dinner or a venue to watch the big match on TV.
- Town Pub & Kitchen – modern, independent-feel, high-street pubs that are open for breakfast and trading late and providing a premium food and drink experience.
- Slug And Lettuce – stylish, branded high-street bars that pride themselves on fantastic cocktails, premium food and an energetic vibe.
- Walkabout – Australian-themed drinks and food – plus the best seats for watching sport or the ultimate party venues.
- Yates – the iconic “all-day-long” high-street bar, famed for good-value food and drink – transitioning to a higher-energy party venue at night.
- Common Room – the perfect “hang-out” any time of day, famed for great coffees, craft ales, street food and sport.
The Chanter falls into the Proper Pubs category, serving a wide range of meals and drinks to a family-focused customer base.
Stonegate is the largest privately held managed pub operator in the United Kingdom and was formed in 2010. Its estate runs from community and unbranded high-street pubs to branded bars, country inns and late-night venues.
The company is controlled by private equity firm TDR Capital and it was formed in 2010 when it bought 333 bars from restaurant and bar operators Mitchells & Butlers, who no longer regarded them as being “core” to their business.